5.19.2014

New pillows, New paint!

We have got some new little friends in the house.  And by friends, I mean, new accessories.
I have been working on some small projects around the house, while we are saving money for some larger ones.
Recently, my grandfather gifted me with my grandmother's 1960's Singer sewing machine.  She looks like new and works like it too.  After a few evenings of reading over the manual (almost throwing in the towel) and lessons from my mother in law - I have some new throw pillows for the couch!
I must tell you that the new elephant pillow - I picked her up at Pier 1 on clearance.
I am addicted, people! I picked a simple first project, so that I could have instant gratification.  It worked.  One couch is full of new pillows, while the other one looks "blah" now.  I must push on and sew some new pillows for it - darn...not!

I used 18x18 inch pillow inserts and created a simple envelope closure for the back of the pillow.  I like to be able to take the pillow covers off and throw them in the wash when needed.
Guests are in and out constantly at our new house (welcomed of course)! We are trying to fix up the guest room so our friends and family feel comfortable.  We received an old piano bench that was going to serve as a luggage bench at the foot of the bed in our guest room.  It was definitely in need of some TLC and it came to the right place!




I sanded her down to begin with, then spray painted the whole thing white.  After several light coats and some dry time, I taped off the bottom of each leg.  I used metallic gold spray paint on each leg to add a little pop.  A little more dry time...then some polyurethane spray to top it off. 
Our "new" piano bench got two thumbs up from Hubby's parents on their last visit.
Hubby and I love tackling big projects - but I also love these little projects that I can do on my own while he is at work.  Sewing machine here I come.
post signature

5 comments: